LOVE TABERNACLE MINISTRIES INTERNATIONAL
Holy Spirit gives a subset of the nine charismatic gifts to a believer
at the time of receiving the "baptism with the Holy Spirit", evidenced
by speaking in a new personal prayer language of "tongues". That
is, charis is the greek word for grace, and charisma is
a grace gift. Therefore, these are grace gifts of the Holy
Spirit. They are an divine impartation of the capability and
power of God into your live.
1 Cor 12:8-11
These gifts are given by the Holy Spirit, to equip us to be able to perform the work of the Body of Christ (the body of the anointed one, anointed with the Holy Spirit and power) in a supernatural way. These gifts are "tools"
for us to us in proclaiming the Word of God to the unsaved world,
confirming the truth with signs and wonders, thru the working of the
For to one is given by the Spirit the
word of wisdom; to another the
word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another
faith by the same Spirit; to another the
gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the
working of miracles; to another
prophecy; to another
discerning of spirits; to another
divers kinds of tongues; to another the
interpretation of tongues:
But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
The purpose of the charismatic gifts is to:
- Attracting attention to the truth.
- To proclaim Jesus as Lord (verses 2-3), which is also confirming the truth.
- To proclaim God's power and majesty to the world (demonstration).
- Ministering to the needs of the Body of Christ, that is God meeting needs in a supernatural way.
The gifts are manifested as we move with the Holy Spirit, acting in
faith, which works by love. The gifts may also manifest at times
we are not expecting them to because they function as the Holy Spirit
wills. The balance is in that the Holy Spirit is moved by faith.
All these gifts operated in and under the old testament, except tongues
and interpretation. Tongues and interpretation are signs of and
specific to the new testament. This is why you don't see tongues
and interpretation until the baptism of the Holy Spirit upon
believers. All gifts, except tongues and interpretation, can be
manifested to a lesser degree before the baptism of the Holy Spirit;
however, the baptism brings the anointing of the Holy Spirit without
measure or limit, and allows the potential for the full manifestation
of the gifts, as we grow and yield to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
Division of Gifts
We divide and isolate the individual gifts to define them only.
Normally, two or more gifts will operate at the same time. They may
function at the same time (e.g., prophecy and word of wisdom), or they
may flow from one to another without an obvious breaking point (e.g.,
interpretation and prophecy).
The gifts are divided into three groups, defining their general type of operation:
A. the revelation gifts (reveal something):
word of wisdom
word of knowledge
discerning of spirits
B. the power gifts (do something by supernatural power):
working of miracles
gifts of healing
C. the spoken gifts (speak something):
divers kinds of tongues
interpretation of tongues.
Word of Wisdom
The word of wisdom is a supernatural revelation, given by the Holy
Spirit, of the plans, purposes, and will of God concerning future
is all knowing (omniscient). He not only knows all past and
present things, but foreknows all things to happen in the future. This
does not mean God has forced anyone to do something; merely, that God
foreknows what a person will freely chose to do. The word (or
message) of wisdom is a small portion of God's wisdom or foreknowledge
in a certain area.
- Future things revealed could include conditional blessings, dependent upon obedience to God's word.
things revealed could include cursings caused by man's disobedience,
such as the babylonian captivity of the nation of Israel.
your car broke down and you did not know what the problem was,
the word of wisdom could tell you what specifically to do to fix
the car. You might not ever know what the problem was, nor why
the fix worked.
is a voice inside of you, which you hear, but others around you
cannot. It is similar to being on the phone, you can hear the
other person on the phone, but those around you cannot hear him.
- May be manifested in dreams and visions.
- May be manifested thru the spoken gifts.
Word of Knowledge
The word of knowledge is a supernatural revelation, given by the Holy
Spirit, of certain facts in the mind of God. Facts are things of
the past or present.
is all knowing (omniscient). He knows all facts (past and
present). The word (or message) of knowledge is God revealing a
small portion of His knowledge in a certain area.
your car broke down, the word of knowledge could tell you what the
problem is (fact), without telling you how to fix it (wisdom).
is a voice inside of you, which you hear, but
others around you cannot. It is similar to being on the
phone, you can hear the other person on the phone, but those around you
cannot hear him.
- May be manifested in dreams and visions.
- May be manifested thru the spoken gifts.
Discerning of Spirits
The gift of discerning of spirits gives insight into the spirit world.
gift allows you to "see" into the spiritual realm. You may see
good or evil spirits and their operation, or you may see the good or
evil nature of a man's spirit.
gift may manifest as an "insight" or "perception" in your spirit
as to the true nature of a spirit which is operating
(good or evil in operation). This is much like an inner witness
manifestation; however, the inner witness of the Holy Spirit includes
broader applications, such as inner "peace" witnessing to you
that you are in right relationship and fellowship with God.
you were ministering to a person who had an evil spirit, the gift of
discerning of spirits would either give you an inner witness, like your
spirit man drawing up inside you, or it might show you the evil
spirit. The spirit might look like a black blob or cloud.
Note that discerning of spirits would not tell you that a person had an
evil spirit or what kind it was, that would be a word of
is not a gift of "spirit of discernment", that is a "spirit of
criticism" and is evil. nor is it a gift of "discernment", that
is wisdom. Note we all, saved and unsaved, have some capacity of
spiritual discernment, that is to say our spirits can sense when other
spirits are around and as to what operation they are of. This is
not the gift of "discerning of spirits", because it is functioning by
our human spirit and not by the Holy Spirit.
manifested in dreams and visions. Dreams are when you are
asleep. Visions are when you are awake. There are three
types of visions:
- closed vision -
when you see in a vision in your spirit. You may see spirits
operating where you are at or other location, but you see it in your
spirit and not in conjunction with your natural eyes. Whatever
you are doing physically at the time is not affected or hindered.
For example, you might be ministering to someone, and in your spirit
you see the person and a demon clinging to their back, but with the
natural eyes you saw nothing.
- trance -
when you see a vision in your spirit, but your physical
facilities are suspended. you are literally "frozen" in place;
you could be frozen standing or you could fall under the power and
remain frozen there.
- open vision
- when you see both in the spiritual realm and in the physical realm at
the same time. Your physical facilities are operating as normal
and are part of the manifestation. For example, you might be
ministering to someone, and your spiritual eyes are opened so that you
see a demon clinging to the person's back. It appears that
you are seeing it with your natural eyes, because your natural eyes are
working in conjunction with your spiritual eyes.
- May be manifested as an "insight" or "inner witness perception".
- May operate with other revelation gifts.
gift of "special faith" (amplified bible) is a supernatural endowment
of believing God for something, above and beyond the normal measure of
faith given to every Christian.
gift of faith allows one to believe so strongly, that he cannot doubt,
but has complete and total assurance in god. An example would be
Daniel receiving his deliverance in the loin's den. Another is
Jesus going to and thru the cross, fully persuaded of His resurrection.
- This gift is used in receiving something from God (provision, protection, etc...).
may work with other gifts, particularly other power gifts, to
accomplish something. An example would be Jesus' confidence in
God's protection, going into Judea to raise Lazarus, after near stoning
on last trip. (John 11:7-8,16)
- Maybe manifested separately, by itself.
- Or with other gifts, particularly other power gifts.
Working of Miracles
gift of "working of miracles" is a supernatural endowment of power from
the Holy Spirit to intervene in the ordinary course of nature.
That is, to cause a temporary or permanent change in natural events or
order contrary to the normal operation of natural laws.
A "miracle" in the general use of the word is any work of God; however,
a "miracle" in the specific use of the word is to intervene or
supersede natural laws or occurrences by the power of God.
- It is always a manifestation in the natural realm, by the supernatural power of God.
- It may work with other gifts, particularly the power gifts.
Gifts of Healing
The "gifts of healing" is a supernatural endowment of power to deliver the physically oppressed from Satan (Acts 10:38), thereby destroying the works of the devil (1 John 3:8).
it is "gifts", not gift! That is, there are different gifts or
mixtures of healing power given. One minister may have a special
gift against different types of cancer (i.e., great success in healing
manifestations), but limited success against deaf\dumb. Another
minister could be the exact opposite. But all ministers can pray
for healing thru other channels of faith!
a body, or part of a body, is still physically present and has some
life in it, then the gifts of healing could operate to restore
health. However if the part is completely dead, or missing (as a
missing arm),then working of miracles would be operate (creative
- We must recognize:
- We can receive healing thru several channels or methods:
- prayer (that is to receive directly from God) (maybe special faith)
- laying on of hands (Mark 16:18-21, Jam 5:13-15)
(regular faith, prayer of agreement or intercession) (*note
laying on of hands could be used with gifts of healing, but is not
limited to this gift.)
- gifts of healing (God's power endowed or placed in a man as a channel).
- Maybe manifested by itself
- Or with other gifts: revelation, power, or spoken.
is a divine utterance (word for word) in a known language of the
speaker, given by the Holy Spirit, to edification, exhortation, and
comfort (1 Cor 14:3).
gift of prophecy in and of itself has no revelation. But it
may combine with one or more of the revelation gifts to reveal
- It may not combine with other gifts, but merely exhort in and of itself.
is a word for word supernatural utterance by the Holy Spirit thru a
person. It is not preaching (which means to proclaim), but it may
come forth during and/or in preaching.
- Can be used both in public (in the congregation) and private (personal prayer life) ministry.
alone does not make a "prophet". A prophet is a different gift or
anointing, which is combined with some of the revelation gifts and the
are not to be led by prophecy given to us thru other persons, but led
by the Holy Spirit. Prophecy can be one of the 2-3 witnesses we
use to confirm things (2 Cor 13:1).
God normally talks to us first before it is given thru another person,
and if not, then He will confirm it normally thru inner witness or
other manifestations (word of knowledge, etc...).
- We are to judge prophecy (1 Cor 2:15, 14:29).
- It may manifest alone.
- Or with other gifts (revelation or power gifts).
is a spoken gift, though you may hear it first in your spirit, before
you yield to the Holy Spirit to speak it. You may not have the
whole message in your soul before going forth to give it.
may only have a perception in your spirit that it (prophecy) is
there. I call this "something in the mail slot". You know
it is there, but you don't know the content until you open your mouth.
may have only the first several words (heard from your spirit into your
soul), like "thus saith the Lord". In both cases, you will have
to move forward in faith and open your mouth.
believers should desire, ask, and have the gift of prophecy working in
their personal (prayer life) ministry. That is praying by divine
utterance. You can pray in prophecy and\or in tongues with\without
interpretation in your own prayer life. (Acts 19:6, Acts 2:17-18, 1 Cor 14:39, 1 Thes 5:20).
Divers Kinds of Tongues
gift of "divers kinds of tongues" is a divine utterance (word for word)
in an unknown tongue of the speaker, given by the Holy Spirit.
(and interpretation) is the only gift not in operation in the
old covenant. It is the initial sign of the
outpouring or the baptism of the Holy Spirit, both to the church and to
every believer. (Joel 2:28-29, Acts 2:17-18, Acts 19:6).
- Tongues may or may not be understood naturally by the listener(s).
- Tongues may be in the language of men or angels (1 Cor 13:1).
can be applied by the Holy Spirit in two directions of communication,
in either public or private ministry, and must be recognized which
direction is being manifested for the proper rules of service to
apply. These two directions of communication are:
- Man's spirit speaking to God, with the aid of the Holy Spirit, in prayer or worship (1 Cor 14:2, Rom 8:26-27). This type of communication can be manifested in all persons in a congregation at once and does not have to be interpreted.
- God's spirit speaking to man, with the aid of the Holy Spirit thru a man (1 Cor 14:27-28).
This type of communication should manifest only thru one person at a
time, though several persons may have an utterance in their spirit, in
an orderly way, and must be interpreted. Tongues with interpretation is
equal to prophecy in importance (1 Cor 14:5).
- Tongues may manifest by itself. Particularly at baptism in Holy Spirit and in personal prayer life. (1 Cor 14:2,14:28, 14:18-19)
- Tongues may combine with other gifts.
must speak what you hear or yield your mouth to the Holy Spirit to
speak the tongues (in faith). The Holy Spirit will not force you
nor take control without you freely yielding.
are instructed to ask for the baptism of the Holy Spirit (evidenced by
tongues), and cannot receive an evil spirit (demon) in place of (Luke 11:11-13), no more than you can ask Jesus to come into your life and get Satan instead.
- Ten reasons for speaking in tongues:
- sign to unbelievers that Jesus is exalted and seated at the Father's right hand (1 Cor 14:21-22, Luke 24:49, Acts 1:4, 2:33, Mark 16:16-18).
- initial sign of baptism of Holy Spirit (upon a believer) (Acts 2:4, 10:46).
- provides spiritual refreshing and rest (Isa 28:11-12).
- allows divine praise and thanksgiving (1 Cor14:15-17, Eph 5:18-19, Acts 10:46, Acts 2:6,11).
- edification (building up) of your spirit (1 Cor 14:2, 14:4).
- edification (building up) of your faith (Jude 20).
- allows us to pray god's divine will, when we know not "what" to pray (Rom 8:26-27).
us to pray for persons or causes unknown to us, or for persons/causes
known to us but at times not designated by us, as the Holy Spirit moves
upon us with burden of prayer, or as tongues rise up in your spirit to
come forth. (1 Tim 2:1-3, 1 Cor 14:14-15).
- reminder of Holy Spirit's indwelling presence, and God's continual presence with us (never leave nor forsake you) (John 14:16-17).
- brings natural tongue under subjection (Jam 3:8-12, Rom 6:12-14).
Interpretation of Tongues
gift of "interpretation of tongues" is a divine utterance of
explanation in a known language of the speaker, given by the Holy
Spirit, of what was just uttered in tongues.
is an "interpretation", not a "translation". Therefore the
interpretation should be long or short in comparison to the utterance
in tongues. But it will be sufficient to give the meaning of the
- Interpretation is dependent on tongues; that is, tongues must come first.
- Interpretation is a spoken gift, which could be heard in the spirit first (similar to prophecy manifestation).
- Interpretation works only with tongues and is dependent on the tongues coming first.
- Interpretation must accompany tongues when used in public (congregational) ministry.
- Interpretation may be asked for, received, and manifested in private (prayer) ministry (1 Cor 14:13-15).
- Interpretation may manifest with other gifts, particularly the revelation gifts.
- Interpretation may come thru the same person as the tongues came thru, or another person.
Note: While these descriptions are taken from the BOOK: The Person and Ministry of the Holy Spirit,
they are shorten and not in as great detail. Either see the book
or the School of the Spirit for the full version.